Thursday, October 15, 2009

William Dalrymple on India

I found quite a few of Dalrymple's observations while talking about his new book, “Nine Lives: In Search of the Sacred in Modern India” worth quoting. A sample:

"This is what I like about this country. As I travelled and met the characters for my book. I found it is not possible to compartmentalise life anymore. There are so many ways of being a Hindu, so many ways of being a Muslim or a Christian here. India continues to surprise me. The day India ceases to surprise me I might get bored. But I love the India that is changing from the time I first came 25 years ago. Besides economic development, new traditions are developing. They are not static.”

Here is the link
http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/books/article33787.ece

2 comments:

Gopinath Mavinkurve said...

Hi Krishnan, Thanks for your wishes. My family joins me in wishing you and your family a happy Diwali!!!

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

Awesome quote from Dalrymple.